We've finally slowed down from all of our moving around for a little bit, and while it feels a little more like home it definitely isn't! I met my family yesterday and found out that none of them speak much English at all. So, I formally challenge anyone reading this to a game of charades when I get back.
I've also got the opportunity to upload some more pictures, so be sure to keep up with those since they'll fill in the gaps of details I leave out of my stories. Hmm...where to begin?
Since being here in Ibaraki, I've already learned SO much about their culture - and class doesn't start until tomorrow! My family here loves to ask about America, and I enjoy telling them about the crazy things we do.
Today our whole group went to Omika Church of Christ, but the following Sundays I will go to a church closer to where I live I believe. I was impressed by the preacher who taught the entire lesson in English and Japanese without a translator. After church they fed us a hot dog lunch and I went back home on the bus with a few people that live close to where I am staying. Tomorrow we will meet at the bus stop in the morning, and after school Hunter is coming over to my house. Haha, apparently his mom can't pick him up on time on Mondays, so at least I'll have a friend to hang out with and speak English with for a little while each week. I have been trying very hard not to ask for anything special or mention things that I really like, but I think my family is trying to trick me into it sometimes! :) Last night at dinner my mom asked what I wanted to drink: Wine, Beer, Tea, Coffee, Cola? I said cola could be cool, and she said "Okay, I don't buy cola, tomorrow I will, what do you want tonight?" HA!! I thought picking one of the options she gave was sure-fire. Guess not. She's so sweet, and tonight we went grocery shopping together. She pointed at everything asking what I wanted. I smiled and told her, "I want to eat food you cook. I like anything!" She laughed and asked what kind of fish I like...what kind of cheese do I like...what kind of everything! I smiled and picked a few things, but mostly told her I was happy with anything. For dinner tonight we went out to eat, and Megumi (my 18 year old host sister) invited a friend along too. I was SO hoping she was an English major, but she wasn't. That's okay, it's fun to be the center of attention sometimes especially when everything is new and they all think it's so much fun.
So for now, things are going good, and I'm sure they will only get better. They let me use their computer and phone, but only at night, so I might have to figure out a way to call at other times from school or in the mornings.
I love you all, and I'll keep taking lots of pictures!
Amy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yay host families are so fun! I'm excited to read about all your experiences w/ your family! I found that leaving for school a little bit early was a good time to call home. I think the international office will let you use their phone and the phones by the train stations are good too.
Post a Comment