I'm in the middle of reading the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, so excuse the title reference...it just seemed like a fitting heading.
This trip has been opening my eyes to shape and change how I view the world. In some ways it's exciting, in some it's almost frightening. I expected this to some extent, but I guess you never really know what to expect until you're right there in the mix. And now, for a very clear understatement: Asia is a whole different world.
The thing that impresses me most about the culture here is not the cold, everyone-mind-their-own-business way that I had half expected after visiting places like DC and NYC. I have been completely caught off guard by the openness and inviting nature of every person I have met. Ever since the English Corner night I have been so much more aware of how open the Chinese are to new people and new ideas. They are not narrow minded in their ways as I feel I often am. They are ready for new ideas and yearn for learning new languages, religions, and ideas. They are also very hard workers and will study on their own to reach their goals. I wish I had that kind of drive. I live in a country that promises opportunity and the chance to be whatever you want to be, but I feel that many times I don't reach my potential and the only thing in my way is myself. Here, they live under so many limitations by government, resources, and tradition yet they find ways and have the extreme desire to do so much more. To those that look at us, a group of Americans and wish that they could be us, I have to say that there are certain aspects of their lives that I wish I had as well.
Many people have been talking to us about coming to China after graduation to teach English. The Chinese government will actually pay Americans to come and do that, and for some it seems to be a great opportunity to spread the name of God. But I have done a lot of thinking about what it would take, and the sacrifices I would have to make, and I think I am still too selfish of a person to be able to do that.
One thing I have learned though, through talking to Gary Jackson, was when he talked about my uncle's work as an accountant as a ministry, it made me realize what the Bible is talking about when it says that the body is made up of many parts. Each part has it's function and without that part, the rest could not work properly. I have talents that others do not, and it is my mission to find how I can use the talent I have been given to help those that have been given other talents that I do not have.
In America we are taught to think as individuals, whereas in China they are taught to think in terms of the group. This experience living in their culture and seeing how they work together for "the greater good" helps me to understand God's purpose for me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment