Saturday, September 20

A Shoutout from Xi'an

Wow, we've been busy since last time I was able to get online. I am now in Xi'an, and our tour guide here keeps us running! :)

On Thursday we shipped home a bunch of our souvenirs (by "surface" instead of air, so it may take a while to get there) and met up for our second devotional in Beijing. It was really good and Jacob challenged everyone on our trip to set a goal for their relationship with God that they want to see change or grow during our semester and when we get back we can discuss the amazing different things God did with each of us.

Then we hopped on the train at around 9:30pm, which was a little cramped, but overall very nice. We mixed up roommates and packed in all our bags and pretty quickly went to bed. At 8am Friday, our sponsors woke us up and we got our stuff together and headed off to find our bus. Our tour guide here was very considerate and moved some things around so we could take showers and rest for a little while before we started our tour. We are staying in a very nice hotel this time (as opposed to the dorms we were in) and we all agree that we're glad this wasn't our first stop, so we can appreciate more the nice beds and big rooms. We are also split up 2 per a room now so we have more than enough room to spread out, although we probably won't much since we're rarely in our rooms and only here for about 4 days...

Yesterday we went to a sort of Chinese ballet show about their armies and soldiers and so on. Then we had a really nice dinner in which they just kept bringing dish after dish without explaining what it was. I've kind of decided to try anything on this trip, and I can't say for sure what it was I ate but I think I ate...brains...or...spinal cord. No one else at my table would try it, and it looked and had the texture of about what I would imagine brains to taste like. One bite was enough. After dinner we went to a water show, which was actually really cool. They shoot water up and shine lasers and lights on it to create a show. I have pictures and tried to do video, so I hope I can show you when I get those posted.

Today we went to see the Terra Cotta Soldiers! They are incredible -- the 8th wonder of the world even! We saw all three pits, and she told us all about the significance of the direction they are standing, etc. It's so impressive to think about what these people did so long ago and that these soldiers are still standing today. I just can't imagine being the farmer that stumbled upon them trying to dig a well. What an amazing sight that must have been!!

Tomorrow we are spending most of our day in the city and having our own church service in the evening at the hotel.

I have a little bit of a cold or maybe just allergies acting up, but if you could keep all of my group in your prayers we would all appreciate it. A few people are starting to feel sick now and then, but never anything major. Mostly allergies I think, and the smoking EVERYWHERE probably doesn't help either.

I love you all! Miss you! Wish you were here!!!

Amy

No comments: